Friday, March 9, 2012

"It's all about the Flower" bee photo


                                     BEE BITS 

THREATS TO BEEKEEPING
Mites
The greatest threat to beekeeping are two varieties of mites (Varroa and Tracheal). And although these mites can be kept under control by a persistent beekeeper, the negative effects on the honeybee population has been devastating. The Back Yard Beekeepers Association surveyed its membership and learned that over 40% of the membership's hives died in 1996. These mites are greatly reducing the overall honeybee population in the USA. The mites are of no concern to humans, except for the effect they can have on honey production.
Disease
Beekeepers are on the watch for various diseases unique to honeybees, and harmless to humans. "Foul Brood" and "Nosema" are two such diseases. These problems can easily be addressed by good management and proper medication. 

I am a painter and photographer. I love to paint flowers and bees.  I shoot hundreds of photos every week in search of the perfect inspiration for my paintings. Last year I downloaded 14,000 images.  This blog is solely for my bee photos to have an organized journal of them. Thanks for looking. You may see more of my work at www.dianemorganpaints.blogspot.com or my website www.dianemorganpaints.com

No comments:

Post a Comment